The Easiest Fruits To Grow In An Urban Garden
Fruits are hard to plant for an urban gardener with compact space, especially if you’re talking about bananas, apples, and mangoes. However, planting fruit in a cityscape is never impossible to do. That is why, in this article, we will discuss the easiest fruit to grow and how to grow it. We will tackle the different fruits that are easy to grow in a cityscape that has small to no space for a grounded garden. Let’s get started.
If you are planning on growing in a small area, then container gardening is the best solution. Not all fruits can grow in a container, so you need to be able to differentiate which fruits can grow easily when choosing seeds. To save you countless hours of trial and error, we will go through a list of the some of the easiest fruits to grow in a container:
- Blueberries - To grow blueberries in a container, you need at least two plants to have the best harvest. Your container must be 22 inches in diameter and 18 inches deep. Blueberries require a constant supply of water and sunlight, so it should be near places where this is available. One harvest can supply you with enough blueberries to make a yummy blueberry pie.
- Strawberries - Another good one to grow in a container is strawberries. They are perennial fruits, which means you only have to plant them one time. They need a constant supply of sunlight, around 8 hours a day. A container around 18 inches can hold ten strawberry plants. The containers need to have excellent drainage for your strawberries to grow well.
- Figs - Figs can grow if your container is 16 inches wide. Figs need a lot of sunlight, so it is ideal for placing them outdoors or directly in front of the sun. Also, it is crucial to keep watering them, especially during the summer times. Make sure the container does not dry because water tends to evaporate quicker in container gardening.
- Pineapple - The pineapple is a famous fruit that many enjoy. And yes, it is possible to grow a pineapple in a container. Just have a container the size of a gallon. Make sure that the crown of pineapple is soaked enough in water before adding it to the soil. Place in direct sunlight, and you will have your Hawaiian fruit in no time.
- Mulberries - Mulberries can be grown in large containers, although you might have to buy the dwarfed ones and not the regular ones. They are possible to grow with enough tender loving care. One thing to look out for when you grow mulberries is that these things stain. So it is best to place them far away from the porch, walls, or windows. You can also set a basin that can act as a stain shield underneath the container pot as a solution.
- Banana - When you think of banana’s, you think of big trees out in the tropics. But you can get dwarf bananas and plant it in a container. They are perennial plants, so they only need to be planted once. And the best part about it is, you can bring it anywhere. To be able to make a banana grow, you have to plant it in a large container. And you also have to keep feeding the banana tree but also to keep in mind not to overfeed them. Too much water can make the banana tree drown and die. The large container must have holes that can drain it well.
- Watermelon- Watermelon may be something you would have never thought would grow in a container, but it is actually a good idea to grow it in a container because you can use its vines as beautiful house decoration. However, watermelon requires a considerable container that can hold water or self water. You can also use hydroponics when growing watermelon. A hydroponic system provides water and oxygen to the plant without the use of soil. Because the watermelon also requires sunlight, you can use artificial sunlight or use sunlight that passes through a window to help it grow.
- Fruit trees- Fruit trees have a dwarf version that you can grow in a container. It is nice to have since you'll simply place them outdoors during summertime and bring them in when winter comes. It just needs a constant supply of water and the right sunlight. Having them near a window will be very significant to their growth.
5 Tips in Gardening For The Easiest Fruits To Grow
- Your fruits need sunlight to survive. Sunlight is essential to produce a good harvest.
- A pot that drains completely is something essential to consider. One of the bad habits of container growing is overwatering the plants. That lousy habit leads the plants to drown and die.
- A bigger plant will require a bigger pot.
- It is essential not to overcrowd the plants in one container. Plants can quickly multiply in number when it is well maintained.
- Plants in containers need nutrients to grow. Make sure to change the soil or fertilizer them occasionally so your plants can have proper nourishment.
Planting fruit-bearing plants is very fulfilling, especially when it bears fresh fruit for you to enjoy. Just choose from the list and remember the requirements. Some fruits prove to be harder to grow than the others. However, with enough time and patience, you’ll be able to harvest fresh fruits that you and your family can enjoy. Container gardening is a good option for urban gardeners. Fruit-bearing plants that can grow in containers are usually easy to grow with the right materials. Upon reading this article, I hope you have learned the easiest fruit to grow and how to grow it. Find out more about growing fruits.
April 2, 2021
by: Andrew McGuire
When you grow fruit trees, you don’t only promote your well-being and preserve your health but also contribute eco-friendly solutions to global issues.
April 4, 2021
by: Andrew McGuire
Plants have different characteristics, and not all can grow and look good on pots or planters. There are the best plants for garden pots.